Even before beginning the novel or reading the prologue of the novel, which explains the origins of the gang, the class and I went through this documentary from Univision.
This video touches on all the points that the prologue does:
- the civil war in El Salvador
- the number of displaced refugees and where they fled to (LA)
- the different gangs in LA, the problems the Salvodoraneans dealt with
- how the gang first formed and why
- mass deportations back to El Salvador and the how the gang expanded influence
Great visuals and stats supplement the all Spanish narration. A good place to use movie talk and start discussions on essential questions.